Mike Cope's blog

Monday, February 20, 2006

This morning I'm supposed to talk about how and why I got into blogging. I'm just trying to remember how and why I got into this class. I just looked back to see what my first blog entry was about. It was on August 4, 2003, which is probably old by blogging standards. Here it is: Monday, August 04, 2003 We just returned from Pensacola Beach--our 15th straight year in the same condo (since 1989). It is now like holy ground. We can look out at the sand on the gulf on one side and the sand on the Santa Rosa Sound on the other side and picture our children. We remember taking a little boy and his younger sister. We remember taking the brand new baby in 1992. We can still see Megan there during her very ill days. We recall clearly the first summer of grief following her death. And now this year, we got to return with our boys and a girl (who next year will be our daughter-in-law). It has been a sanctuary, an oasis, a respite, an emergency care center through this decade and a half. We have swam, played tennis, bought fresh fish at Joe Patti's, eaten the best grouper sandwich in the world from Peg Leg Pete's, jumped in the waves, collected shells, biked, thrown baseballs, played Uno and Hearts, read, listened to Jimmy Buffett and Michael W. Smith (not together usually), watched movies, prayed, and grown deeply in our love. - - - - Last night's lectureship got off to a good start with Zoe leading the singing. I was reminded of what a steady, godly leader Royce Money has been for the past decade and a half. He and Don Jeanes, president of Milligan College (a school associated with the Independent Christian Churches), shared the evening lecture.

11 Comments:

  • I must've started reading soon after that. DJG and I went to hear you speak in Montgomery in fall of 2003. She found your blog soon after that. You and your blog sure have been good for me and my soul!

    By Blogger That Girl, at 2/20/2006 04:27:00 AM  

  • I've been reading your blog for about 6 months now. I was blessed to hear you preach for four years in Searcy (88 -91) and have again been blessed by this blog. I read everyday. Thanks!!!!

    By Blogger mc, at 2/20/2006 05:27:00 AM  

  • If blogging was a multi-level marketing business, you would be a conzillionaire. Reading your blog inspired me to start my own blog, and I have encouraged a few people to get into blogging.

    The beauty of this has been that this has allowed you to share your "story" with people you would never have been able to reach. When you have written about a specific subject, like Megan, I have sent those posts to people I knew were hurting and were in badly need of some hope.

    Thank you for "keeping it real." Keep those inspiring posts and an occasional guacacomole recipe coming!

    By Blogger David Michael, at 2/20/2006 06:05:00 AM  

  • We will be keeping you all in prayer during this time. I know it has been risky with the speakers at the conference but also know that this will be a great time of encouragment and dialogue for the churches.
    Ron Clark

    By Blogger KMiV, at 2/20/2006 06:57:00 AM  

  • I started reading your blog on January 14, 2005 and have been reading every day since. I feel like I have come to know you through your postings and was blessed to get to meet you in March 2005 at the Tulsa Workshop. WHAT A BLESSING YOU ARE TO ME! I cannot tell you how much I have grown in my walk with Christ over this past year, in part because of you. THANK YOU!!! May God continue to bless you and your family and the rest of us through what He is doing in you!

    By Blogger Danna, at 2/20/2006 07:12:00 AM  

  • My dad began blogging because you , so I began because of my dad. I have yet to master the art of disciplined blogging, but the lectureship this morning really inspired me too. It was a great lectureship.

    By Blogger Matt Barnett, at 2/20/2006 11:22:00 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Matt Barnett, at 2/20/2006 11:22:00 AM  

  • Enjoyed the class today. Thanks to Mike, Kendall and Travis. It was alot of fun! And I got to put a couple names to faces.

    By Blogger Tammy M., at 2/20/2006 11:33:00 AM  

  • Thanks for the class concerning blogging it was great to hear how to better use this technology. May God Bless you

    By Blogger son of ol red, at 2/20/2006 07:49:00 PM  

  • Jonathan referred me to your blog but I signed up for my own so I could post on yours. Blogging may change my life! I have found it to be a great way to share my heart and get to know some others who love the same things I do! Thanks Mike for sharing yourself so openly on here. You are a huge encouragment to lots of us out here.

    By Blogger Paul, at 2/20/2006 08:32:00 PM  

  • Wow, a Christian Church and Church of Christ joining at lectureship. We've come a long way. I for one am very glad to see it. Though I now enjoy the truly nondenominational worship with an Army chapel, I as still very interested in the two getting together, Kent Dickerson

    By Blogger Kent Dickerson, at 2/21/2006 12:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home